Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Asparagus fondue

With the asparagus season just under way it hasn't quite come to the point of wondering what to do with it but give me another week or so of spears dipped in butter and I'll be looking to ring the changes.

Cheese is a well-established partner - the obvious combination being asparagus and goats' cheese - but the other day I came across an asparagus fondue, a clever idea at Mark Hix's new restaurant in Selfridges.

It wasn't a conventional fondue but apparently a cheese-based sauce with some steamed (I would guess) asparagus shavings and trimmings blitzed up in it, giving it the exotic green colour you see in the rather blurry photo). For me it wasn't quite cheesy enough and a little bit floury but there's the nub of an idea there that's well worth exploring. Or maybe just dunking lightly cooked asparagus spears in a conventional fondue would work just as well.

If you don't have a fondue set I reckon you could also make a light cheese sauce - I fancy using some cream in this - flavoured with Gruyère and Parmesan which gives you an intense cheese flavour without being too heavy and pour it over the spears, sprinkle them with a little more cheese and flash them under the grill.

In fact I may very well have to go off and buy some asparagus right now to do just that . . .

PS I suddenly remembered that Mark often posts his new dishes in his column in the Independent - and indeed here it is. Not the green version though. And I think I'd still use Gruyère and Parmesan rather than Cheddar much as I like British cheeses.

Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Karen Roderick said...

That sound immense. Sometimes I stuggle with what to do with asparagus and tend to shy away from it even though I love it - this idea is lovely, thanks, K x

Fondue Recipe said...

I love fondue, and I think this is a great idea, thanks for sharing. Although I know that you can always get away with something cheesy, I still believe that you should make it a bit more interesting just so to have a little surprise there, lol!

The Grubworm said...

A light aubergine cheese sauce, now there's an idea. I like the idea of using small amounts of the vegetable blitzed into the cheese sauce. Makes for possibly interesting combos - a soft mild cheese sauce with beetroot and walnuts? Or would that be awful?

Fiona Beckett said...

Glad you like it. Thought it was too good not to pass on. Other versions, Grubworm - I think the beetroot sauce would probably go rather a lurid shade of pink but might taste nice. Romesco sauce - a Spanish sauce with almonds and peppers would be good - and could possibly be adapted to cheese though, cheeseaholic though I am I'd rather have it with almonds ;-)

danthemackem said...

I like to make a quick fondue by baking a camembert in the oven, still in it's box. I usually just dip my bread in but I'll be steaming some asparagus tonight I think...

Fiona Beckett said...

That's a great idea - and so simple!

Kosmos said...

hi...

Cheese, Cheese Manufacturer, indian dairy, milk products, indian milk products, dairy industry, dairy business, dairy plant, dairy product importers, importers and exporters of dairy products, dairy plant india, dairy manufacture in delhi india


http://www.indiandairy.co.in/index.html

http://www.indiandairy.co.in/index.html