Wednesday, October 8, 2008

In search of the perfect cheese soufflé


I can't remember when I last made a cheese soufflé. Actually I think I can but I'm not going to tell you because it was a long, long time ago.

I decided there needed to be one for the cheese book and came up with an interesting twist which again I can't reveal or my publisher will kill me (this must be a very frustrating post for you but bear with me . . .) I checked out the basic method with a few books and then the problems began. Because they all suggested different proportions of flour, milk, cheese and eggs.

I followed the majority and used 150ml of milk but it made rather too thick a panade (the posh term for a soufflé base). Elizabeth David recommends using 284ml but as she's habitually vague about quantities I overlooked her advice. But I now find that that's the amount Leith's, one of the top cookery schools in London, recommend to their students.

The soufflé rose beautifully and didn't collapse but just wasn't quite light and airy enough. Nevertheless it's a wonderful dish to impress with and a delicious light supper accompanied by buttered new potatoes or crusty bread and a green salad. Will just have to make it again to refine the technique. At least that's my excuse . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful even though you didn't reveal any secrets ...lol!

Denise
http://winefoodpairing.blogspot.com

Ivy said...

That souffle look so delicious!

Fiona Beckett said...

Hi Denise and Ivy! Good to hear from you and glad to see someone else is writing on food and wine pairing! And love those cute cookie cutters, Ivy!

Anonymous said...

that is the most perfect souffle i've ever seen. i haven't made one before, and come to think of it, i've never tasted one either. that's so depressing haha